Today was a research day. I did lots of counting and sorting and calculating percentages and whatnot. I found out some interesting (to me) things about the playlists of Lyric FM, Radio 3 and Classic FM. And I rang my new landlady. But none of that is particularly interesting to talk about on my blog so I'll have to think of something else.

So let's think about media. I'd really like to see Seren become a fortnightly newspaper next year. At the moment it's sort of in limbo: it has news stories in it, but it doesn't come out regularly enough for the news to actually be new. And it has features, but they're mixed in with the news fairly randomly.

It'd be an awful lot more work having a fortnightly issue, but I think it'd be worth it. I haven't examined the internal politics of Seren in detail, but I understand that two competent people are running for editor next year. What about having a joint editorship? One person gets to be editor and the other deputy editor in the first semester, and they swap for the second. That'd make the workload more manageable.

Also, people might be more enthusiastic about putting work into this sort of thing if they could earn credits for extra-curricular activities. I know Andy's looking into a volunteering module, but why not make it an all-round extra-curricular module, like DCU? I'd like it because it'd mean people would be professional about societies. Frodo'd like it because it'd mean departments recognising that involvement in sport is a good thing. Andy'd like it because it would encourage people to volunteer. And the University'd like it cos it'd forge better links with the local community.

I suppose I've been thinking about what Andy was saying about the protests in France, and wondering how we'd communicate proposed action to each and every student if something like that happened here.

Because that's our problem: the University is so spread out that it's hard to communicate with everyone. Seren can't reach everyone, Storm can't reach everyone, and most people just blank half the stuff on the Inranet. But we have to try to make each medium as far-reaching as possible, so we at least increase the likelihood of everyone hearing what's going on.

And I'm going for a run in the morning. I need to destress: I'm clenching my teeth in my sleep which is making my jaw hurt. Also, Race For Life is approaching fast so I'd better at least try to get fit.

 

7 comments:

Tom Giddings said...

Maybe if Seren was cut in size a bit, it would be easier to manage, maybe switch it to an a5 style full colour booklet? I guess that would push the costs a bit too high for fortnightly though.

Credits for extra-curricular work would be great, especially in Storm, although we'd have to fit a certain standard of training.

I'm still trying to work out a really good communication system for societies, I think myspace has the right idea, but something that is more accessible would be good (ie. not just internet).

Have a nice run :)

Sam said...

When we went on strike before I sent out a rousing email to every student.

The trouble with Seren news is that they copy and paste whatever they get emailed, rather than fostering a news-led ethos.

It's far easier to copy and paste to fill space rather than turn up to Exec or Council, say.

Rob said...

With regards to Seren, you have two editors. Each putting out an issue once every four weeks (thus you get an issue out every two weeks) they work together so as not to copy stories. Or one over arching editor with to deputy editors.

The biggest problem is finding the people involved to do it!

Not that Seren will ever again reach the standards of my high quality film reviews which very often just seemed to

Anonymous said...

I Have written a paper that will be tabled for serveral univeristy meetings about earning credits for union stuff - i will send it to you!

Diz

Sam said...

You couldn't send it to me as well, could you? Sounds interesting.

Spencer said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Spencer said...

In theory going fortnightly works ..

Not sure if it would when put into practice ..

and having two editors I dont think is the right way to go either. Becuase unless they are fully supportive of each other and on the same wave length, you'll end up with no continuity and two different newspapers every fortnight ..

However, its something that could be explored after the New editor has had time to settle in?!