Oops .. I accidentally turned on post moderation thinking that gave me the option to moderate posts if I wanted to. Nope, it means I actually have to moderate each and every one. It's done, the feature's turned off, I'll stop messing with settings.

Goodness gracious there's been a lot of chatting about what we're going to do for the SU. I'm really quite excited. Roll on July. I had a lovely chat about it all with Sam this afternoon, and I'm feeling quite inspired, but I have to put it all to the back of my mind while I get on with this dissertation. Although I'm averaging 1000 words a day, so we're getting there. Slowly but surely.

I made nettle soup this evening. I know it sounds odd, but it's one of the nicest soups I've ever eaten. Nettles taste very .. green. A bit like spinach. Add some nutmeg and cream and it's just beautiful. Very cheap (just needs an onion, garlic, some potatoes, stock and maybe some cream) and extremely good for you. Loads of iron and vitamin C and stuff. Easter's the time to make it: nettles are only tasty when they're young. Go make some now!

I think I might go see The Spinto Band on Monday. The Chalets are playing in Limerick on Saturday, but I want to go to the boat so I think I'll have to give that one a miss. But The Spinto Band on Monday in quite a lovely venue would be just the thing.

I've just posted a message for Seren on their Intranet board. They've announced the upcoming elections on the board, so I thought I'd better mention my ideas to them before the AGM (which is on the 27th). I must stop being so scared of inconveniencing people.

 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am intrigued, did you go wandering down to the bottom of your garden to pick the nettles for said nettle soup??

Also, don't worry about inconveniencing people, if you dont put your ideas forward and make yourself heard, you will get walked over. (not literally hopefully, as this could be quite painful!)

CG said...

I normally go pick them by the river, but it's very time-consuming and the crop by the river isn't particularly good this year. No, the organic veg man in the market was selling bags of nettles his son had picked, so we bought some there instead. It's much less hands-on than picking them yourself, but they taste just as nettlicious.

Anonymous said...

*giggles muchly* feel sorry for this veg man's son, he must have been very norty and got sent off to pick nettles! ow!! i must say eating nettles is a very strange concept!

Anonymous said...

Nettle soup sounds interesting....very interesting. And i do feel very sorry for the veg mans son as you're bound to get nettled. I have vague memories of someones mum tipping vinegar on nettle stings, for some reason!

And as for being worried about being convincingn - don't! It'll all be grand, you've got this job because you have good ideas and the ability to make 'em happen! No fears....

Em

CG said...

How come you feel sorry for the veg man's son and not for me? I've gone and picked them myself the last two years. All you need is a good strong pair of rubber gloves or gardening gloves and you won't get stung. Anyway they're into picking vegetation at veg man's house I'd imagine. Although (gasp) we saw him buying frozen sweetcorn in the supermarket last week!

People used to tell me that if you hold your arm against a nettle it doesn't sting, but I never really wanted to try that theory.

Sam said...

That's not true. I've been stung on the arm before.

And a friend at school rather unfortunately wiped his arse with them in the French forest. Grabbed a handful of vegetation and the screams could be heard for miles.

CG said...

Sam wins a prize for story of the day.

I didn't explain it very well: I mean that if you find you've accidentally brushed off a nettle you're better off holding your arm there for a few seconds, then it won't sting. But I still don't buy it.

Sam said...

Hold your arm on the nettle?

Anonymous said...

*giggles muchly at sam's tale!*

i still agree with emma, gloves or no gloves, it is a pants job being sent ot pick nettles for your dad. I mean if you did it, surely that was for your own enjoyment (getting nettle soup at the end), but this poor lad just has to go pick nettles for his dad to sell!! i know that i'd get stung, even if i was in a chemical warfare suit, i'd manage it!!

As for buying frozen sweetcorn- shocking! i'd report this to the local rag!

Sam said...

We don't support local rags.