Bebo-palula baby what I say

I can't remember where I read this, but apparently 500,000 people in Ireland have signed up to Bebo. That's one in eight. I must admit that I'm one of those 500,000.

I get millions of emails every day from people wanting me to sign up to these friend-connecty-website-thingies. I had successfully ignored them all until I received an invitation that was actually personalised from my friend Claire who's spending the year travelling around the world. She said I should join her so I could see all her fantastic photos. That won me over.

So I joined Bebo. That was a few months ago, before it became so incredibly trendy. I'm so hip and with it. But I have to admit, I do quite enjoy it. All these people I used to know years ago keep appearing. I don't necessarily talk to them at all when they are added to my friend list, but it's nice to know that they still exist and remember who I am. And you can draw pretty pictures on people's whiteboards. Even better, people can draw pretty pictures on your whiteboard.

I've still managed to steer clear of Myspace, though. Apparently it's the way to find out about bands, but I really can't be having with all this talking-to-strangers thing. I have enough people to talk to already. I'm not sure why Myspace doesn't appeal to me. It might be that I think it's silly that people get excited when famous people add them to their 'friend' lists. It doesn't make you actually their friend you know. Or it might be that I'm afraid I'll start looking at it one day and never stop exploring its myriad corridors. Bebo's addictive enough.

In other news, I've been watching Naked Camera. It's one of those shows where several people go around doing stupid things and film people's reactions. I know, I know, it's a tired formula, but I like Naked Camera. Especially the girl. Today she tried to return a positive pregnancy test because she didn't want to have a baby. Well it made me chuckle.

Now it's time to go to sleep. I've just been explaining to Dad that I need to go to bed early because I naturally sleep for ten hours when I'm at home. If I don't go to bed early I end up wasting half the next day. I like mornings. I like to be awake during the morning. But I also like sleeping for ten hours. So I need to go to sleep.

 

6 comments:

Sam said...

I have the same dilemma - it haunts me.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you do bebo. You may be my sister but you have officially become "unhip". MYSPACE is soooo much better.....


...or maybe not. never mind. i just wish i could block the address that sends invites though.

Vicky said...

I take it your saw the first lot, it's basicly the same things again but focussing on the bit that isn't on the pitches. They've seen sense and got rid of the preposterous tower they wanted to build for the sake of it, presumably to appease the locals. Some things haven't been revised though, like no computer room and no JCR room planned :( Everything has really tacky names like 'Campus Square', and they've actually labelled two of the existing buildings incorrectly...*sigh* Big concern is when they're actually going to do the work, which includes making greem areas of current carparks which are right in front of halls. They won't do it the holidays and lose conference fees that's for certain...

CG said...

Yeah, I saw the first lot. Submitted a wad of questions to Estates: they replied just a couple of days after the elections. At first I wondered if they were suddenly frightened, but then I saw the postmark and realised that that was just stupid of me.

But yes, I had asked a question about the Campus Beacon (what an inspiring name :)), and they said it had been scrapped.

I had also asked about the 'recreational spaces' (or whatever they're called), and whether they would be available to the JCR. They said they hadn't decided yet. We must hassle them about this, it's not good enough.

Sam said...

I had a meeting with Fergus Lowe (a Pro-VC) and Rob the other day and the upshot is that the JCR and Students' Union should be getting office space up there. Rob raised the issue of storage space, etc, for the JCR services, which they don't seem to have considered. He's going to arrange a meeting with Mike Goodwin, head of Estates, at some point.

Sam said...

Apparently my mate Fergus is actually the newly-appointed Deputy V-C...