Back ..

.. from a short break. First I got a nasty, nasty tummy bug on Friday evening. Then we went to the barge on Saturday. I managed to sleep through most of Saturday (probably 18 out of the 24 hours), so I'm feeling mostly better today, but still not 100%. The boat was probably nice (it usually is) but since I mostly slept, it's hard to tell.

I actually don't have a lot to say. I'm having interesting discussions with a couple of people from Seren who say they'd love to have more issues of Seren but that there isn't enough news in Bangor. Opinions?

Tomorrow I'm going to see The Spinto Band with some friends I haven't seen for ages. It's in one of those nice venues with seats and stone walls, so you're not expected to jump up and down or anything. And The Spinto Band list Burt Bacharach as one of their influences, so you can't go wrong really, can you?

I've also decided to knock an entire chapter out of my dissertation. I think that'll help. But my sickness break means I'm 2000 words behind in The Plan. I'm probably too tired to be stressed about it, though, so I'm going to go to sleep instead.

 

7 comments:

Tom Giddings said...

Why not cover national stories and their implications on Bangor Students? (such as Bird Flu). Also, it may be worth going out and doing personal interest style stories involving students, like me with airsoft, and the government banning it! Well, maybe not me, but the idea is there!

Vicky said...

Does it just have to be Bangor related, surely the paper should be able to cover anything that somehow affects students. Not just news, but issues as well. There was an article by a guest writer in the last issue about Bangor graduates being disadvantaged because graduate employers prefer the top few unis. I thought that was one of the best articles I've seen in Seren, it could have been better, but it was relevant, interesting and generally well written.

The small basic articles I just think 'anyone could have written this'. I'd like to see well researched articles, stuff that can actually be classed journalism. In an ideal world someone with an article in Seren should be able to show it off to a future employer as a showcase of their talent.

A letters page would be good as well. I'm pretty sure there was one, once upon a time.

CG said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I was in a news breakout session at the Student Radio Association conference the other day, and someone from Birmingham got quite upset when another person said "there is no news"...the reply was "bollocks there isn't, you just have to go out there and find it"

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

sure there's news! they can as people have said cover national news, plus if they ave space to fill i'm sure carolan/sam could fill it with a bulletin on what the union's up to! it would require a bit more work, but if they can get enough interest at serendipity, and maintain that interest form budding journalists! sorted! :)

Sam said...

I hope you're feeling better!

(if Seren bothered to turn up to Exec or Council meetings this year they would have found reams of scandalous news. I don't want to hear any of those crappy excuses)

Tom Giddings said...

I agree with Vicky, and I remember a letters page too! I think anyway.

Maybe some would argue that such news is hard to find and time consuming...but really it isn't, SEREN should be getting the NUS Daily News Digest too, which actually contains highly targeted news. Today, headlines included:

- Two-year honours degrees being introduced.
- Plans to attract a further 100,000 overseas students to the UK.
- The university cities with the least burglaries.

These news stories have all been covered by national news, so theres no reason they cannot be adapted for a local audience.