TO ALL TO WHOM THESE PRESENTS SHALL COME, GREETING!

I've been reading the BBC Royal Charter and let me tell you, it's a giggle a minute. Apparently it has been represented unto Us by Our right trusty and well beloved Counsellor Virginia Bottomley Our Secretary of State for National Heritage, that it is expedient that the Corporation should be continued for the period ending on the thirty-first day of December two thousand and - six. Glad to hear it.

The BBC charter is a completely different kettle of fish to the RTE charter. The Irish government just doesn't put as much effort into the language of the RTE charter. It's nowhere near as grand. No flowery introduction, just straight into the nitty-gritty: RTÉ, as the national public service broadcaster, shall reflect the democratic, social and cultural values of Irish society and the need to preserve media pluralism. Great.

I went to see The Spinto Band last night. Very enjoyable indeed. They're a mighty energetic bunch of people, dancing all over the stage and doing fantastic knee-swivel moves. Four guitars, two lead singers and four backing vocalists (six people altogether). And a sparkly drumkit. Their inter-song banter fell a bit flat though. That's just the kind of venue Dolan's is upstairs: people don't want to shout out 'yes! Dr Cox was also in Office Space!" or make up a limerick for them. Although they were delighted when Baz went up to tell them about Dr Cox. They'd just seen their first epidose of Scrubs.

It was so lovely seeing my friends. We just sat and chatted for hours. The people in Dolan's had to ask us to leave because we were just sitting there chatting and they wanted to close the pub, so we went to Costello's (a nightclub near my old primary school). Not an experience I recommend on a Monday night: it's so empty you can see how horrible the room actually is. We just sat there reading the graffiti written on the walls.

It's funny, people keep asking if they can come visit me in Wales over the summer. I've been trying to get them to visit for three years, but I suppose it's much easier to visit during the summer. I'm delighted: I hope they do actually come over. I've suggested that they come to the Faenol Festival at the end of August (if it doesn't coincide with Electric Picnic): we'll see if we can gatecrash the Westlife gig. Kev was telling me he got free tickets to see Enrique Inglesias which was a real treat.

I've been having conversations with potential Seren editors about where they could get news from: the list's as long as my arm. They're very nice, and they're approaching our little conversations very openmindedly which I really appreciate. I've mentioned the fact that someone needs to provide coverage of what the Union is doing, and if Seren doesn't feel that there's a place for that in their newspaper, then I need another newspaper. By the way, their AGM is on the 27th: anyone want to come along? Since they don't seem to have a constitution, they presumably also don't have a definition of who or what is a member, so any student can vote ...

 

7 comments:

Tom Giddings said...

...should Seren not have a constitution?

CG said...

Yes, and I'm sure they do somewhere, but last time I checked (when we were revising Storm's) Dizzy had never seen a copy and James didn't know where it was.

Sam said...

Well I never had one.

Perhaps then the CCSO would've been obliged to help us out a bit.

And I veeery much doubt Chadwick wrote one.

What's all this Dr. Cox business?

CG said...

Well that can be a good first step. I'm very flattered to have been asked to write a 'let's have two editors' proposal to bring to the AGM. Isn't that lovely?

The Spinto Band had just watched their first episode of Scrubs and were trying to think of what else Dr Cox had been in. Except they didn't even know his name. Baz tried to shout Office Space to them, but they didn't hear. But they're American! How have they never seen Scrubs before?

Sam said...

NEVER SEEN SCRUBS?!

What were they, a bagpipe-playing folk band?

CG said...

I was startled too. Good thing they came to Ireland: obviously a dose of civilisation was what they needed.

We should invest in a box set of Scrubs for Academi, you know. Playing on loop. Guaranteed to attract people.

Anonymous said...

I'll come to the Seren AGM too. That way there's more exec than you can shake a stick at!

I wonder what they'll make of that....and tut tut them, as a standing committee, for not having a constitution (altho hush, for I suspect UWB Pride is lacking one also)

Hope your good peoples