rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb

I've been chided for not updating, so here we go. I tried to think of something fascinating to blog about last night when I was going to sleep. I really wanted to rant about why Conservatism is just plain wrong, but I'm too tired and stressed to have arguments with people so I'll leave it until after I've finished my dissertation. I did try to talk to Sam last night about why I would vote Lib Dems (which reminds me .. must go try to register so I can vote in the local elections), but nobody ever wants to engage in a serious discussion about the poor party, immediately writing it off as a joke. Look, they may not be the most organised, efficient party in the world but their policies are far far better than either Labour's or Conservative's. In fact, I'm sometimes tempted to vote Plaid Cymru, who also have good leftie policies.

Oh I didn't mean to write a paragraph about that. Ignore it, don't argue until after the weekend.

So rhubarb. Our garden, which usually only sprouts dandelions and chip bags, has grown a fine healthy crop of rhubarb over Easter. The rhubarb plant's been there all along, but it miraculously grew from a little stump to a huge plant in just a few weeks. We've harvested two crops so far and it still looks huge. We had rhubarb crumble on Tuesday, and Chris made rhubarb and ginger jam yesterday. It smelt quite nice, despite using lime instead of lemon (he claimed they taste practically the same -- SO untrue!).

Anyway, this exciting gardening achievement (like we actually put any effort into it) combined with the discovery of the pack of sunflower seeds I was given for my birthday has inspired me to take up a new hobby. I call it Renegade Gardening.

Basically, this is how it works. You carry seeds and a spoon around in your pocket (people might notice a trowel), and randomly plant seeds in public places (probably on your way back from the pub). I obviously can't tell you where my first target is because that wouldn't be very renegade, but if you see any sunflowers growing, please take care of them instead of digging them up. See, there's no point planting them in my garden because by the time they flower I won't live there anymore. So I need to use public spaces.

I think once I've successfully planted sunflowers I might move on to bigger projects, like trees. I like trees. And I think I'll make myself a window box next year, but that's not very renegade either. I feel like Fotherington Thomas: hello trees! hello sky! hello flowers!

 

10 comments:

Spencer said...

I may not agree with your choice of party but at least you vote. Which is more than most bother to do ..

CG said...

Spencer you have lovely hair and shoes and I'm sorry for teasing you yesterday (although you were SO picking on me more).

Sam said...

You're a complete fruitcake, if I may say so.

I agree with a lot of Lib Dem stuff, just not the fundamentals. I'm ambidextrous, politically.

Sam said...

(and let's have a proper political discussion sometime)

CG said...

Yes let's. After my work is all handed in, two weeks from today (what a lovely thought), we'll go to the Tap and Spile and have a proper debate. Or maybe even go to the pier and eat scones.

Spencer said...

The pier and scones sounds good ..

How bout a picnic somewhere? If the Weather plays in our favour that is ...

Vicky said...

I'm a Lib Dem voter too and I get sick of people telling me that a Lib Dem vote is a wasted vote. I'm voting for them in the locals as well because they are the best party for our local constituncy IMO, I'm voting in my home constituencey by post so I presume I get no vote here.

CG said...

Woohoo another Lib Dem supporter! Glad to hear it.

Actually I rang Gwynedd Co. Co. today to try to register to vote here (I'm allowed to vote in local and European elections), but apparently the local elections here aren't on until next year. I'm going to register anyway, though. Exercise your right to vote!

As I was saying to Sam yesterday, the concept of a wasted vote is one which really irritates me. That's why I like the system in Ireland: we've got single transferrable voting and proportional representation, so you can vote for as many candidates as you like in order of preference, and several people get elected (depending on the size of your constituency). A system like that here would hugely benefit the Lib Dems, but obviously that's not going to happen while the lunatics are running the asylum.

Sam said...

If you don't like the idea of a wasted vote - why waste it?

CG said...

You're wilfully misinterpreting my statements young man. I'm going to vote for the party I want to see elected, whether or not that will actually get them elected. I don't want either Labour or Conservatives to run the country, so it doesn't much matter who the vote actually goes to.