I've just posted a defence of the SU Exec on the Intranet debate board .. I hope I'm not going to annoy people before even taking office. It just annoys me when people say something's rubbish without thinking about the reasons for making decisions.

Anyway.

What I really want to talk about today is Academi. The issue sort of came up on Spencer's blog, and it's a really big thing I'd like to sort out next year. I want to get people back into the SU, and I think we need to open Academi during the day to sort that out. But we also need to convince Undeb Trading that it's going to be profitable. So we need gimmicks to draw people in, things like showing Neighbours (although Yellow does that, and it's only across the road, so we need something unique).

So what are we going to do? I think we need to move the pool tables back upstairs. Pool is a nice thing to play in the afternoon. We just need to find a nice way to store them in the evening. Shoving them to one side isn't really ideal; people will spill pints on them, end up crawling under them when drunk, that kind of thing.

We need to have nice things on the TV like Murder She Wrote, PMQ, Neighbours, maybe even This Morning (depending on what time Academi opens at).

We need to encourage people to buy food in Freddies and take it through to Academi so they can eat and drink at the same time.

A jukebox'd be nice too. A really good jukebox.

Then we need SIGNS telling people that it's open during the day.

And we need to start a debate about whether it should be open during the day or not on the Intranet. Get people listening.

Send in your suggestions on the back of a postcard.

 

10 comments:

Sam said...

It's all in the proposal...I have to stop people talking about newspapers in the SU shop and opening up Academi in the daytime so that I can take the credit for it.

Kitty said...

Loose Women, Monk and Countdown! How I miss my TV when Im at uni, I think putting TV shows on would encourage people in. Also with the new studio in the SU us Storm peoples are going to be spending an awful lot of time there, would be nice if we had somewhere to go and eat and relax.

Spencer said...

DEAL OR NO DEAL!!!

Well you'll definitely have my vote .. as long as PMQ's is booked every Wednesday at noon then I'm happy!

Jocks, Academi and the Curved lounge all need revamping but Academi if open in the day time would do just nicely!

And who doesn't like pool!?! The question is just what to do with them of an evening but you'd have a 2 hour period in between closing for the day and opening for the night so I cant see it being that difficult ...
Exciting stuff ....

Kitty said...

Spence, deal or no deal sucks! Maybe because I dont get it...

CG said...

Definitely Loose Women. I hardly ever watch it (there's something about that just-after-lunch slot, I'm never free) but it's great! We should have a Women's Hour. We could have a knitting session or something, a big group of women sitting there bitching, watching Loose Women. I like knitting.

Anonymous said...

The Madame Defarge de nos jours ....

Rob said...

Cheers for defending us, i like being Head of an Executive being called 'very competent and brave' althouth I think the others deserve the credit not I.

Also I am looking it newspapers in the shop at the moment... sorry Sam but if I get my way it'll be sorted before you take over (althougth saying that how often is it I get my way)

Kitty said...

I can knit :) *is proud of her own achievement* I can also crochet! *bows*

Sam said...

Can't you leave me a few things to do?

Anonymous said...

Deal or no deal (prendre ou laisser) is far more exciting over here in France (dont ask why) maybe it is because Noel edmonds is nowhere near the TV screen!! I just always think of mr blobby when i see him! lol! plus the presenter has a starnge atractivness about him, despite being semi-old. But i watch it purely for linguistic improvement etc etc blah balh...!!!