Poor Goldie had his hair cut today. Apparently he got hot spot because he was too hot in the warm weather lately, so he needed a bit of a haircut. He doesn't seem to have enjoyed the experience at all: he was quaking when we came to collect him, and couldn't leave quick enough. But he does look lovely. And dogs don't hold grudges. He's wandering around perfectly happily now.

We'd never taken a dog to be groomed before, and had sort of vaguely expected that it might take an hour. But it takes about four hours, and you don't stay and look after the dog. So, not being there, I can't say for certain how well Goldie was treated. But I could certainly see the difference between the groomer's and the vet. The vet made a fuss of Goldie as soon as he got there, instantly making him relax and feel pretty happy. Even when she shaved a small patch of his fur, which he didn't much like, she reassured him so he was wagging his tail again merrily within seconds. The groomer didn't seem to make much of an effort to befriend Goldie while we were there. Goldie's a sociable kind of dog, and he finds things much less upsetting if he's being reassured, patted, admired. The groomer told us Goldie kept lying down, saying that was only to be expected in old dogs. But we know Goldie: if he doesn't like what's going on he'll refuse to take part by lying down.

Anyway, he looks lovely and he's been spoilt rotten since he got home, so he's happy again now. And Pippa got our undivided attention for several hours, so she's happy too.

And now Dad's cooking a big going-away meal, which I'm very much looking forward to (see his blog for details). So I'm going to go be sociable. Oh and I had a nice nap again this afternoon.

 

13 comments:

Tom Giddings said...

I wonder if Jake could do with a bit more grooming...will certainly need a lot of reassurance tomorrow mind, they are giving him an MRI scan for his liver (so shaving of his stomach :s)

Vicky said...

When we took Holly to be groomed we think the lady must have nipped her sin with the scissors at some point or hurt her in some way because after that whever we tidy up her ears or anything with brush and scissors she whimpers.

Supermanc said...

Awww! My family never do me going away meals!!!

Thanks for the add to the links bit by the way!!!

Ian the Great said...

I'm getting an MRI scan in August. Are they going to have to shave my stomach?

dizzyrach said...

Your dads blog makes me hungry....

Spencer said...

update your blog .. I'm bored!

CG said...

SOME of us WORK!

I'm planning on phoning my flatmate this evening to find the username and password for my house internet connection. Once I've got hold of that, I'll be able to blog in the evenings. As it is, the STUPID University has stopped my library card working, so I can't go use computers anywhere.

Spencer said...

Excuses Excuses ...

>;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!