I have returned from a lovely weekend of visiting relies with my brother. We spent Friday with Gran in Dublin: she fed us and bought us books and was delighted when I chose a pattern and some wool for a jumper which will keep her occupied for a couple of days in the winter (she's a very fast knitter). She worried about Ian not eating a balanced diet, and told him he should get an engineering degree and a job in the civil service because they have very good pension schemes (he's 17). We had such a lovely relaxing day, reading books in the sunshine and chatting away. Oh and looking at her photos of Italy; I'm so jealous.

On Saturday we headed north, meeting The Uncle Pat in Newry. We were talking directly to Niamh and Pat's massive new mansion, all beautifully kitted out with Ikea furniture (I can't wait to go there on Sunday!). It's a zillion times bigger than it was before (no exaggeration).

Niamh and Pat are probably my most left-wing relatives, so we had loads of fun sorting out the world's problems over dinner each day, debating (for example) whether or not it's a good idea to go build houses in Indonesia or to force Fair Trade suppliers to set aside 10% of their land for growing food for themselves. So they think Ian should study some kind of -ology, not engineering.

I may have overdosed on Jane Austen this week. I read and watched Pride and Prejudice, read all of Emma and am halfway through Persuasion (should be done by tomorrow). If I don't stop soon I'm in danger of speaking and writing in an 18th century style, and of marrying the first man to ask me if he had any chance of ever succeeding in winning my hand, a la Messrs Darcy and Knightley. I shouldn't be at all surprised if the same thing happens with Captain Wentworth. I'm not sure which heroine I like the most yet. Possibly Elizabeth Bennett, but Emma isn't quite so conceited by the end of the book, and Anne is so charmingly understated. Oh I just don't know.

Oh and I visited the Sonic Arts Research Centre (SARC) in Queens. I'm so very impressed with it and the brand spanking new SU building (nearing completion) that I have half a mind to go do an MA in Music Technology in Queens instead of Radio Production elsewhere. I'm trying to persuade Ian to study there too (BSc) but he's got his heart set on Huddersfield so far.

 

6 comments:

Sam said...

I'm marrying the first girl who doesn't run off, personally.

No shame in it.

Sam said...

(and if he's not eating properly, surely you should direct their complaints here?

Ian the Great said...

Well the thing is I do eat properly but apparently not properly enough.

i.e. I don't get out of bed to eat breakfast

I'm a bit torn as to who to follow here. Good pension or The opportunity to pretend to have a worthwhile opinion. I'm really not sure.

Any suggestions?

CG said...

Breakfast is a good meal. No-one should ever skip it. I occasionally do, but I always feel much better on days when I have breakfasted. Especially healthy breakfasts, ones involving fruit. Although I'm also a big fan of breakfast rolls.

Sam said...

I love having breakfast in hotels.

It's always leisurely, plenty to choose from - the best breakfast I ever had was in Las Vegas at the Paris.

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»