We are the winners

Hallo!

What an exciting day it has been. I feel guilty for watching so much television today (Dad says it's my Protestant work ethic shining through), but there's been two ultra-exciting events.

First we had the Heineken Cup Final, Munster vs. Biarritz. Limerick, being the capital of rugby in Munster (if not Ireland), was like a carnival today. It was such fun! I nearly went into town to watch the match ("the biggest screen in Europe" was set up on the main street), but I couldn't be bothered phoning around to see if any of my friends were going and didn't want to go alone. So I watched it at home.

It really was frightfully exciting. Very close. There were just four points in the difference in the final few minutes, and Biarritz really looked like they might score. But they didn't, and Limerick is (in the words of Terry Wogan) floating on a pink cloud somewhere over the Shannon. I may have missed watching the match on a big screen, but I'm going into town tomorrow for the return of the heroes in their open-topped bus. Chris often slags me for not having a football team to support; I'll have to remind him that, unlike Middlesbrough, Limerick/Munster actually won in their European final.

Anyway, carnival atmosphere all round. Several of the players interviewed after the match said they were overwhelmed by the clips of crowds on the streets of Limerick. We were in town earlier and absolutely everyone was wearing Munster shirts (Penneys was selling tshirts saying "Irish by birth, Munster by grace of God"), music was playing over speakers and the entrepreneurs amongst us were selling hats, flags and ice-cream. It's quite possible that the atmosphere was more lively in Limerick than it was in Cardiff.

Then of course the second exciting event is the Eurovision! While Terry himself is excited about the Munster win (we're watching it on BBC to avoid the ghastly Marty Whelan on RTE), one can't help but be excited about Eurovision. We've been rating each act using four categories: costume, special effects, song, novelty value, dancing and Eurovision factor (like the X factor but better).

I need to go now so I can tot up the averages for each act before the voting results are announced. Just time to quickly say that I've decided I'm not going to wear my purple dress for the ball after all, I'm going to wear my red one with elbow-length ivory gloves and ... (drum roll) my ivory jacket. How wonderful.

 

3 comments:

Tom Giddings said...

I didn't really give Eurovision the attention I should have, I caught some random robot singing and thats about it, hear the 'monster rockers' from Finland won though!

I find it amazing what could be classed as a rock act actually won!

Anonymous said...

Rock act...from the vague memories I have of last night, they were barely rock. I personally thought Lithuania should have won.

And damn israel for not getting more points. According to drinking game rules, they lost and so I had to down a dirty pint (some of which accidentally fell on the floor, oops!) This has to be what is making me feel so UGH now, right?

Anonymous said...

Lithuania all the way, that din produced by Finland wasnt music, just noise, it was scary too, i hid behind a pillow!!