New shoes

Today I bought some new shoes. They don't fill me with as much joy as other pairs of shoes I have bought in the past (such as my pink ones and my pink sparkly ones and my red ones and my black ones) but they're nice all the same. I suppose I'm not very excited about them because they're high heels and I hate wearing heels. They're no good for standing up for ages or for running around or anything. But I needed a pair because my ball dress is too long without heels. Maybe if I'd spent hours trawling around Dublin or Cardiff (which has a huge number of shoe shops) I would have found heels I could get excited about, but not today.

I did see some nice flat shoes in Wacky Shoes, though. I could get excited about them. But I really have to stop spending money or I'll have to sleep on the couch in the SU during July, eating leaves and poking through rubbish bins.

Dad has brought my attention to a major dilemma: what am I going to wear for my graduation? I hadn't really thought much further than the black gown thingy, but apparently one is expected to supplement the gown with some other clothes. What a dilemma! I'd go for the obvious choice (the ivory jacket) but I'm not sure whether jackets will look quite right under gowns. Quick! Find me someone who has graduated who can advise.

 

9 comments:

Sam said...

I'm wearing a fancy shirt, waiscoat and bow tie underneath mine - I just fancy dressing up for the day if I'm going to be looking like a tit anyway.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about sleeping in the SU - i'll be sleeping on the streets as of...well, june 1st actually. I'm running a little short on cash....

Anonymous said...

sam, wil it be one of those bow ties that spins round?? and a waitcoat with lots of colourful dots on it?

carolan, yes i am not sure a jacket would totally work under the gown (although any excuse to give your ivory jacket an outing no?) but i would suggest black knee length skirt and a blouse, choice of colour up to you, although i think red could work nicely. (try find out who'll be before/after you (alphabet) and discover what colour they'll be wearing so you don't clash or match!!- both not good) also, sensible shoes that aren't going to make you fall down the steps in PJ, so i wouldn't suggest your latest purchase!

CG said...

Why thank you Andy, that's exceptionally helpful. I already have a black knee-length skirt, so I just have to find the right blouse. And I'm sure I can rustle up a pair of shoes.

Anonymous said...

Thank you lots Carolan! I now have somewhere to live for june - daddy gave me a long lecture and then saved my ass, so you are very welcome to live here for june if need be. you can feed me, i'll provide somewhere for you to live....hope and pray my landlords don't catch me. they don't like me very much right now for not having money.

and then in july we shall have a grand moving party of sorts. how much fun will that be?

Sam said...

Emphatically not, Andy.

Carolan - forget sensible, it's one night and you can carry slippers in your handbag.

Go sexy, go painful.

CG said...

I'm actually going to go home from June 9th to July 1st (again), but thank you anyway! Very glad to hear you've been bailed out. Living on the streets and eating from bins is unseemly in a lady. Sam, I'm presuming you get a balcony pass even if none of the rest of us do, so I'm counting on you to store my sensible shoes on the balcony for me. *smiles sweetly* Thank you!

Sam said...

I doubt I will.

All Execs and staff got balcony passes 2 years ago, but I think they didn't last year. I don't know.

Carry some flip-flops in your bag, or something.

As for graduation - wear whatever! I'm wearing a cream/ivory waistcoat and bow tie. I just to check my departmental colours to make sure they don't clash.

Anonymous said...

always like to try and be of use!