It probably isn't news to anyone who reads this by now, but I won my election. 787 votes to 340. Apparently it set a new record for the biggest ever margin of victory, a record which was promptly smashed by Gerallt (won with 828 votes to 319). Frodo and Sam also stormed to victory. It's the most fantastic thing: I was supporting all three of the boys and they ALL got in.

The party last night was fantastic. I wasn't much in the mood for partying when we first got there. I was feeling exhausted and nervous, and really just wanted to sit quietly in my own space. Academi's not much good for sitting quietly in your own space. But eventually the results were announced, I was given a bottle of champagne and danced for several hours. It was lovely seeing how happy all my supporters were, too: made me feel less guilty for stealing so much of their time over the past few weeks. I clearly have the most wonderful team of supporters in the world. They canvassed their socks off for me and the boys, and Frodo and Sam have both asked me to pass on their thanks. Next year's Exec is going to be full of wonderful people, it's marvellous.

I'm using a lot of superlatives here. I'll try to stop. The other [superlative removed] news this week is that Storm has been given £10,000 and loaned £8,000 by the university. It's just what we needed to hear this week; finally, we can start working on our new studio. Hopefully Storm will progress in leaps and bounds next year.

I've done so much this week, talked to so many people, done so many things, but all I can think of now is how much I want to go to sleep. Tomorrow morning I'm going to SVB training. It's my first official engagement which is exciting. There's an SU 'away day' next week where the new and old Exec will be having a think-in about what needs to be done. Sadly, it's on Friday, and I have an interview in Limerick on Thursday, so I'll have to chose between a place on Lyric's panel and a day of strategic thinking with the Union. It's a surprisingly tough decision! But for now, sleep.

 

0 comments: