I feel a little nervous because I'm currently formatting the primary hard drive on my Windows PC. I've unplugged the secondary one just to be certain it doesn't get formatted. The computer was getting rather sluggish, mostly because that 20gb drive was getting pretty full -- Windows XP seems to take up about 10gb and the majority of the programs were installed there too. Oh and for some reason I still had that drive partitioned into 16gb and 4gb, and the 4gb bit was completely empty so I wanted to remove the partition. From what I can tell there is no reliable way to do that without risking losing everything so I thought I might as well bite the bullet and just format the whole thing.

Also I now have a 200gb secondary hard drive (well, I've had it for a few years) which I would rather have all my programs installed on, and it just seems easier to wipe everything and start again than to uninstall and reinstall lots of software.

I've backed up all my settings and the windows folder, and all my personal files were on the bigger hard drive anyway, but I'm still nervous about losing something really important. Or even that it'll just all go wrong. But it's so frustratingly slow that I'm barely using it at the moment, so I might as well try to make it usable, right?

 

0 comments: