Very exciting news, can't believe Sam hasn't already blogged about it. The University of Wales, Bangor has been granted degree-awarding powers.

There were all sorts of assessors lurking around the University last year, attending meetings, interviewing students, that kind of thing. During handover, we were invited to a meeting with the DAP assessors, so I like to think we had a bit of a part to play in getting the degree-awarding powers.

So Bangor doesn't need to be part of the University of Wales anymore. As far as I'm aware, no decision to leave the University of Wales has been made, but I know there was quite a lengthy discussion at University Council over what to call the University if it did become independent. I've got a fiver on Bangor University, but you never know.

At least now they've chosen the Option 5 Estates Strategy there's no chance of it being Rhyl University.

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bangor & Metropolitan Area Schools of Higher Education, aka Bangor & Mashe?

CG said...

Heeheeeheeeeee.

Unknown said...

I like the Uni of Snowdonia, personally

Anonymous said...

Given http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Unreal_University, perhaps they might go for the UnRhyl University.

Vicky said...

Personally I quite like(d) University of Wales, Bangor although Bagor University comes second. Not keen on something like University of Snowdonia, it sounds a bit 'ex-poly' so I suppose I'm a bit of a university snob. I'd like it to keep it's posh sounding title.