On the perils of being a left-wing peacenik.

I've just been to my first Bangor peace vigil.

Disappointing. Very disappointing.

I turned up just about on time, and spent about ten minutes trying to get my candle to light and stay alight. The guy next to me helped out; he was the only person who spoke to me throughout the entire event. The others clearly all knew each other; you'd think they'd make some effort to integrate the newbie.

After about fifteen minutes of people standing around and young people cartwheeling (and me standing there feeling awkward and wondering how I could sneak away un-noticed), some people started arranging us into various formations so they could take photos. That went on for perhaps another ten minutes, with much conversation about whether or not the flash would work (it was a digital camera, they could have just looked at the screen).

Eventually a couple of people gave short little speeches about how terrible Israel is, and how awful fixed-term ceasefires are. All very noble. Then we had a couple of minutes' silence.

And that was it.

I don't really know what I was expecting, but it didn't seem very hardcore. I've already had an hour's silence today. I could have done much more of that. And maybe some more rallying speeches with promises of bold action, rather than vague talk of having a meeting to arrange a meeting.

Apart from anything else, I felt really left out becaues I brushed my hair today.

It's just so frustrating how emasculated lefties are. I desperately want to be an active leftie, using my powers for good and whatnot, but when everyone else is wandering around in hemp clothing getting bogged down with major issues such as whether the meeting venue serves fair trade coffee, it's hard to believe we're ever going to make a difference. That's why I like the Lib Dem society in the SU: they actually do things, and they turn up to events in very smart clothing (did anyone see how wonderfully smart their outfits were at the Societies Awards?). We just need to replicate their success on a larger scale.

 

3 comments:

Supermanc said...

Awww! Big hugs!

It could have been worse... you could have been trying to get people to switch from BT to Toucan for 14 hours in the rain in Manchester... and only make twenty quid! :-(

Tom Giddings said...

Aww. I agree, there should be more action. I feel quite apathetic because I know the government doesn't listen to public opinion or accept it as legitimate unless it wants to.

Mind you, I'm sure it was a lot busier and more productive than the lecturers picket line outside main arts.

Supermanc said...

Ha! That picket outside main arts was a load of crap! Barely anyone turned up... and most of the lecturers just stayed at home!