The more I think about it the less I like the prospect of living in Woolwich. When I asked Nick what he thought he said:

"Don't live in Woolwich
Don't live in Woolwich
Don't live in Woolwich
Don't live in Woolwich
Don't live in Woolwich
Don't live in Woolwich
Don't live in Woolwich
Don't live in Woolwich
Don't live in Woolwich ..."

Pretty conclusive I thought. And Mark doesn't seem to think it's nice either. And the estate agent referred to Woolwich as 'the W word' ...

But I've found somewhere else I like! Look at this one in Colliers Wood (there are several other similar ones available). We stumbled across it quite by chance, we hadn't really thought of looking in Colliers Wood, but the closest supermarket to where we're staying (in Merton) is a huuuuge Sainsbury's hypermarket about a mile away. And just across the road is the lovely Merton Abbey Mills (don't judge them by the quality of their website), and right beside it (they almost share a car park) is this set of flats.

Here's what's good about the flats:

They're nicely furnished.
They're affordable.
They're beside Merton Abbey Mills (which has nice cafes and pubs).
They're across the road from a huge Sainbury's (for food) and M&S (for work clothes), with a Jessops (for fixing my camera-which-is-broken) and various other shops across the road in another direction.
They're next to Merton Park (or whatever it's called).
They've got a river and a mill stream on two sides.
There's a big gym just next door.
They're about 1/4 of a mile from Colliers Wood tube station, which is on the Northern Line.
Colliers Wood is the third-last stop on the Northern Line, so my theory is that I'll get a seat on my way to work in the morning.
They're in a reasonable area (well, it's not posh but I felt perfectly safe there).

Here's what's bad about these flats:

They might be a little bit small.

So I think it's a go-er. As long as there are flats available when I phone the estate agent in the morning. The website says there are but estate agents don't seem to be big into keeping their websites up to date. I think I might cry if there aren't any available, the pressures of flat-hunting are so great.

 

0 comments: