Location, location, location

Two days after our rather exciting move to London, I estimate I have walked 10-15 miles around the city. I have blisters, my shoe has rubbed part of my foot raw and my calves ache. And I still haven't found anywhere to live.

Yesterday we viewed three properties. The first was the one I thought looked nicest on the interweb. But it was disappointing. It isn't really in Blackheath, it's in Lee, which is really nowhere near as nice. The flat is quite nice, the bedroom is large with lovely big built-in wardrobes, but the upstairs living area is much smaller than the photos suggest, and the kitchen has absolutely no storage space. Like, literally, some drawers and one cupboard. And although that side of the alley is nice, the opposite side isn't.

We also went to Woolwich to visit the Royal Arsenal. We saw some very very nice apartments, including this one:






See the bit that sticks out? The window on the side of that on the top floor is the apartment. That window gives you views over the Thames, which is just behind me when I was taking the photo. Charming, n'est-ce pas?

Well Woolwich isn't. It is run-down, crummy, dirty, horrible, everything a town shouldn't be. I don't think I would feel safe walking from the train station to the Royal Arsenal even though it's just 400 yards. What a dilemma. When we left after viewing the properties I really thought we might take that flat but all day I had this worried, niggling feeling about how horrible the area was. So I think I probably shouldn't. But I won't be able to afford an apartment as nice as this anywhere else. Comments?

 

2 comments:

Tom Hecht said...

Go chat to the neighbours. I await your decision in suspense. Happy hunting...

CG said...

Well I spoke to a woman on the street -- turned out she didn't actually live there but worked there, said she'd love to live there herself. She did seem hard as a bag of nails, though, and was definitely London born and bred, whereas I'm from the wilds of Ireland and have spent the last five years in the wilds of Wales. I tried to find other people to speak to but there weren't many about, it being the bank holiday weekend.

I think I might have found another nice place though, perhaps I'll blog about it ...