At the weekend my aunt subtly mentioned to me that Gran was upset I hadn't thanked her for my birthday present. Now I'm not a rude, ungrateful grandaughter, I just hadn't received any present. So I phoned her last night to ask her which address she'd sent it to and discovered I hadn't told her I'd moved house last summer.

So I went and knocked on my old front door but nobody answered. I knocked again today, and again nobody answered but this time I popped a note through the letterbox so I wouldn't feel I had to knock every day until the Easter holidays end.

And lo! I have just received all my post dating back to about October. That's six months of Liberal Democrat mailings (including several testimonials encouraging me to vote for Nick Clegg or Chris Huhne and, indeed, my postal voting form), a Christmas card, two birthday cards and an invitation to my uncle's birthday party. It's so exciting!

And my birthday money means I can just about afford to have my hard drive recovered, not the most exciting thing to spend money on but a great relief nonetheless: there's nothing absolutely crucial on there so I was feeling very guilty about spending lots on having stuff recovered, but how could I have replaced 20gb of music, lots and lots of photographs and my entire degree? The man in the data recovery place says they never get repeat customers, after someone's hard drive fails once they immediately learn the importance of regularly backing up. Quite right.

 

1 comments:

Unknown said...

My hard drive failed three weeks ago (common Macbook fault, see google) I haven't made a back-up yet.

Perhaps I should postsecret that?