I've had an exhilarating, exhausting, emotionally draining week. I've got so much to say I'm going to have to say it over several days.

I'll start with my hard drive. Turns out the Head Disk Assembly Unit has failed, and that it will cost £392 + VAT to fix. I bartered it down 20% but it's still far, far too expensive.

So I'm slowly coming to terms with my loss. I've lost all my photos, all my music, all my degree work. But at least they have managed to extract a list of all the files that used to be on it, so now I'm going to busy myself seeing how many of them I have in other locations.

I think it might be quite a lot actually: I have formatted drives before and saved all the important files to CD so I'll probably still have many of the older files. And Ian has most of my music on his mp3 player (I love my little brother). And I have all my degree work printed out (I'm so glad I file things so anally). And in the past two years I have put most of my photos on my work computer, not my home computer. I'm looking forward to going through the list and discovering how much I actually still have.

I feel like that man who had all his belongings destroyed as part of an art exhibition. It's healthy not to become too dependent on tangible things, right?

Nonetheless I'm going to try not to make that mistake again. I'm currently shopping for an internal hard drive (200gb, not Samsung because I hate them now) and an external hard drive so I can back my stuff up. And I've asked the company to return my hard drive so that when I'm very rich I can get all my files back and it'll be like opening a box in the attic and finding lots of old toys and pictures and stuff. Just think how happy I'll be.

 

1 comments:

Tom Hecht said...

heh I'm glad you're coming to terms with it, but you're right - it'll be awesome to get it recovered when you're older. In the meantime have a play with Time Machine if you can get your hands on a nifty £50/60 external HD.