Consultation

This week has been jam-packed with meetings: I've been to eight so far with another nine to go before tomorrow evening. We're consulting, consulting, consulting on this governance review and it's been pretty interesting so far.

Attendance hasn't been massive but we were expecting that having spoken to other SUs about their experiences. I think what's important is that we give everyone the chance to voice their opinions; if they aren't interested or don't want to get involved that's fine as long as they don't come along afterwards complaining that they don't like what's happened.

Today will be good though: we've got AU and Societies GMs (where attendance is compulsory) so word will spread. I'm hoping they'll like the proposals but if they don't, now's the time to say.

Yesterday I caught mention of Ghana on the news: they were saying something about Accra and how they were the only journalists to witness the event. I got a bit of a fright, thinking there'd been some kind of genocide or something. Turns out it's a woman being 'expelled' from the country (apparently that's different from being deported) because she came here on a student visa, stopped studying and started working instead. She's got cancer now and is arguing that she will die if she returns to Ghana as their healthcare isn't as good as ours in Wales.

I felt a bit mean because the main emotion I felt while watching that story was excitement because they spoke to someone in Kumasi which meant I got to see what Kumasi looks like. Okay so it's not where Ian is but at least it gave me some idea of what Ghana is like. It looks lovely!

 

1 comments:

David Morris said...

17 meetings in one week????? That's impressive! I didn't think it was possible to beat my total from when I was a sabb - but you've managed to do it!