Snow is falling all around us ..

Yes indeed, it's a Snow Day. Bangor's full of people scampering around, excited about missing a lecture here or there.

I was full of joie de vivre myself this morning. I got up at 7, put on three pairs of socks, pyjamas, two pairs of trousers and all sorts of other warm clothes and tried to persuade Chris to come play in the snow with me. He wasn't impressed, so I made an enormous snowball all by myself. It's too big for me to move on my own now.

Then I went to the studio to do a breakfast show. I had originally told the co-presenter we wouldn't do a show because it was too snowy, but I was feeling hyper and wanted to play some music. After that I stupidly went to the music department to double-check that my lecture was cancelled. It wasn't, and since I was told that directly by the office staff, I wasn't going to get away with skipping it. The lecturer was late, so I had more fun throwing snowballs at people, but then I had to sit in semi-wet clothes for an hour. That took the shine off things a bit.

So now I'm just feeling very lazy. I have so much to do, but I'm really tired and I don't want to go outside. I need to go to the library, but it's shut. I've also just realised that I won't have a nice quiet evening in until next Wednesday. I had sailing club & Storm meetings on Monday, council Tuesday, cloakroom tonight, Music At Bangor concert duty tomorrow, sailing club event on Friday and Saturday, Sheffield on Sunday and Monday, Clubs & Socs AGM (or should I just say Socs now?) followed by Council on Tuesday. I'm tired just thinking about it. I slept really badly last night because I was so excited about snow. I kept peeking out the window to see if it had snowed yet. Actually I don't think it's just the snow that kept me awake, I think I'm feeling stressed and hassled about all the things I have to do this week. I just can't calm down enough to sleep.

Council was excellent last night. Read all about it on Sam's blog -- there's no point me repeating everything. Very disappointing news on the studio, though. There's no way we can afford £20,000 to refit a room. It's ridiculous. We completely refitted our entire kitchen at home last year, custom-made units, a large range, knocked through several walls and built another, and it cost nothing like that amount. All we want is an empty room and they're charging us £20,000? I understand the insurance issues with us gutting and refitting the room ourselves, but if Estates are going to add £17,000 to our estimate then Estates can damn well pay the £17,000.

Oh and I'm getting annoyed with Storm presenters. I made it very clear that everyone needed to come to one of three training sessions I'm doing this week before I can allow them back on air. With one training session left, there's at least thirteen people still to do it. Maybe all thirteen will turn up tonight (that'd be nice) but I doubt it. I'm annoyed because it means taking more time to show people how things work at a later date, and I'm far too busy to have to trek to and from the studio all the time. I thought three slots was generous of me. So the only slot I'm offering them for retraining is 7:30 on a Wednesday morning (that's when I do my breakfast show). Ha. That'll teach them. See? I can be tough.

I had a nice chat with Tim from Rostra last night. He explained all about what performing@bangor want from the University. They're not asking a lot. It was nice to get the chance to talk it through properly. Anyway, back to the house I think for a nice warming mug of milk. Oh yeah! That was the other thing that upset me. Some children threw a snowball into my mug of warm milk this morning. I was Distinctly Unimpressed.

 

5 comments:

Sam said...

The next 3/4 weeks are going to be really stressful - so much work to do, things to plot and plan, elections to run...oh, the madness.

Spencer said...

Warm Milk ... yuck

Sam said...

Yeah, I can't see the warm milk thing either.

CG said...

Oh but it's so comforting. It makes me sleepy. I had Green & Blacks hot chocolate just now, that was sublime, but sometimes I don't want a sweet or caffeinated drink, just a warm one.

Tom Giddings said...

I used to have hot milk as a kid to help me sleep, but it had to have sugar in it.