It's been a long week of graduation ceremonies. I do like getting all dressed up in cap and gown, but the novelty quickly wore off as I listened to the same speeches and the same pieces of music four times in a week.

There were a few welcome diversions though, such as our exciting new Honorary Fellows. The big one this year was Rhys Ifans who was incredibly chuffed at getting an honorary fellowship and has told all the newspapers he's more pleased about it than getting a BAFTA. He did look like he was really enjoying himself all the way through, and he told me and Sam he loved his gowns:



We also had Iolo Williams yesterday, along with lovely stories about how short his shorts used to be. After the ceremony he went out to Treborth to plant some Wollemi pine, where he told everyone how disappointed he was that the University wasn't taking care of the gardens properly.

But the main game we played to entertain ourselves during the ceremonies was count-how-many-people-you-know. Obviously Monday was the big one for me since the entire Music department was there, but I was also pleased to find I knew one in four English graduates.

It's nice having people around for the week; I've been just hanging around my house for ages so being dragged out to the pub last night was a welcome change. I just wish they wouldn't steal all the seats in Yellow. Damn students.

 

1 comments:

David Morris said...

I know exactly how you feel about the repetitive speeches! I got to listen to the 2006 summer graduation speeches 7 times and heard the speeches for the January ceremonies four times. I can still remember some of the poor quality jokes!

Anyway, how's Bangor? It's ages since I last saw you (which was NUS Annual Conference).