What a fun week! I really rather enjoyed NUS National Conference. All these people making really impassioned speeches about absolutely everything. It was quite weird, though, having 1200 really confident, outgoing people in one room. Sam's given me permission to use his Superman analogy: it's like Superman on Krypton; doesn't feel so special when everyone has superpowers.

But more than that, it was weird (and rather nice) having 1200 people in a room who were all really interested in what was happening, who were truly engaging in the processes and the debate.

I'm very pleased with the newly-elected NEC and with the general attitude in the room. There was a real feeling that NUS needs to focus on its core remit and to stop spending so much time on foreign policy. In fact, I think only one motion in the Society and Citizenship Zone (the worst one, the one with all these motions about saving the world) got debated, although I must admit that I'm not sure because I went to play in the arcade instead.

All in all I'm feeling happy about the whole thing. I'm hoping to be co-opted onto NUS Wales Steering Committee too, so I'm even making an effort to get involved. But I'm very very tired and my productivity has been rather low today as a result. Oh well.

 

2 comments:

Ian the Great said...

Ashamed that I know this, but in fact if Superman was on Kypton he wouldn't have any superpowers at all. It was the Earth's Sun that made him have powers.

As a result the analogy is in fact innacurate.

It's sad that I remember that at all.

Glad you had a nice time.

Sam said...

It's an analogy, it requires a certain suspension of disbelief in the first place.

Much like the story of Superman, so there's an interesting, if factually inaccurate analogy.