Well that's that then

Serendipity 2 is over and my workload will now (hopefully) return to normal.

I was quite startled at how smoothly everything went, actually. Frodo and I were shifting tables from 7:30am (not out of choice but because that's when the tables arrived), but when everyone else arrived all the preparation got done very quickly. So quickly, in fact, that I had a relaxing 20 minutes just before ten when I had time to sit down and have a cooked breakfast.

The only really stressful bit was phoning the rodeo sheep guys at 10:25 only to be told they were still 40 minutes away. It seems that The Wife hadn't passed on the TWO phonecalls we'd had changing the time I wanted them to arrive to ten o'clock. But not only did they have the wrong time, they also turned up in the wrong place, Bangor-on-Dee. You'd think they'd have checked the postcode in a route planner, or maybe checked if there was actually a university in Bangor-on-Dee. So no rodeo sheep until after 12.

Anyway, it didn't seem to mar the event too much: there were still lots of cheery-looking people wandering around with candyfloss and (half-price) pints. I suppose that's the problem with having a big-name headliner like that on all your posters -- they're almost guaranteed to turn up fashionably late.

I think the highlight of the day for me was holding a snake at the Herpetology Society stall. It was really quite something. Snakes are the most scary thing I can think of but I held it and it didn't bite me, just wrapped itself around my arms in a reassuring sort of way. I'm still scared of snakes, but I quite enjoyed holding one. Maybe I should get one.

 

0 comments: