I'm feeling virtuous again. I got up at 7 this morning to do the breakfast show with Miriam (who's become a much better presenter in my absence), then I went to the gym. Even though I haven't done any exercise for three months, I managed to run for twenty minutes and spend fifteen minutes on the cross-trainer. I watched several house renovations on TV, too: an all round good way to spend a few hours.

When I got home Chris and Nick (who were watching the Ashes DVD) told me they couldn't understand how anyone would want to go to the gym because it's boring. They were watching cricket. A cricket DVD. Of a match they'd already watched in its entirety. And they told me the gym is boring.

Went to the Abbey Road Centre (a resource centre for people with mental health issues) yesterday to do my music workshops. I've been volunteering there since my first year, but only started doing music workshops the week before last. I'm doing this Music in the Community module, so this is one of my projects. It's really hard to get people enthusiastic about joining in with anything, particularly something where they feel they might not be good at it. The first week wasn't particularly successful, but yesterday was much better. One guy had come along especially and wanted to sing the same song over and over. That was nice. Another guy came along to Abbey Road for the first time and immediately joined in with the drumming, then came into the waiting room with me to learn guitar. He's been trying to teach himself guitar, so he was really enthusiastic about being taught chords. He seems to be exceptionally musical and he's going to come back every week to learn more chords. Finally, some enthusiasm! I'm delighted.

I'm looking forward to Council tomorrow, hoping the new bilingual policy will have to be revised, although maybe people won't care enough. I'm also looking forward to talking about the Ffridd redevelopment plans. It'll be interesting to see who else went to look at them.

One of the guys in my year .. his girlfriend is in second year, also studying Music. She had a baby this morning. Although I'm really worried about the concept of students looking after babies, I can't help but be excited and happy about the fact that the baby has just been born. I want one. No, no, I don't.

 

3 comments:

Sam said...

I can't wait to get married and have babies, although it wouldn't be entirely responsible of me to have children in...ooh, the next 10 years.

But yes, the policy isn't amendable at ratification stage, we can only reject it, I think. You can stand up and talk against it, or maybe do a procedural motion to send it back to the Executive for consideration...

CG said...

Oooh, it's so tricky because I think rejecting the bilingual policy altogether would not go down well, but I really cannot support ratifying a policy which doesn't work.

Sam said...

We can't amend it, though - we can make the point that we don't think it's workable and hope that they get the point.

But I'll expand on that later, over a big fat plate of Mike's.